For a complete list of benefits, visit the Human Resources benefits page or call 315.443.4042.
SU is a progressive, family-friendly employer, providing employees with a benefit program responsive both to the diversity of its community and to the many life changes individuals experience during their employment. Qualified employees are eligible for the majority of benefits immediately upon hire.
SU contributes a significant amount of the cost of such benefits as health insurance, retirement plan contribution, and tuition assistance for employees, resulting in a generous total compensation package. Here is a sampling of the many benefits offered to faculty:
- Flexible spending accounts: Optional pre-tax reimbursement accounts allow you to set aside money to pay for health and/or dependent care expenses.
- Salary continuation plan: Provides benefits in the event of absence from work due to injury or illness.
- Faculty research and administrative: Faculty members may apply for a research or administrative leave of absence. Leaves are granted to encourage scholarly research or creative activity. Additionally, faculty members are eligible for family medical leave (FMLA) for certain family and medical reasons (See the Faculty Manual for more information).
- Parental: In addition to maternity/disability leave, faculty members are eligible for parental leave. Primary caregivers of either gender may apply. (See the Faculty Manual for more information).
- Dependent benefits: SU offers tuition benefits for dependents attending Syracuse University or other participating institutions.
- Remitted tuition: Syracuse offers remitted tuition benefits for you and your spouse/ same sex domestic partner to be used toward graduate and undergraduate coursework.
- Medical: Comprehensive group medical and prescription drug plans are available to the employee, and their eligible spouse/domestic partner, and dependents.
- Prescription drugs: Cost is included in your medical plan insurance premiums.
- Dental and vision plans: Preventive or comprehensive coverage is available to your eligible spouse/domestic partner and dependents.
- Life: Basic group life insurance with the option to purchase additional coverage. You may also purchase dependent life insurance for your spouse and dependents.
- Home and auto: Optional group home and auto insurance that provides a potential savings opportunity through group buying power.
- Long-term care: Optional group long-term care insurance for employees and their dependents.
- Long-term Disability: Optional insurance designed to pay a benefit in the event that you cannot work because of a covered illness or injury.
- Accidental death and dismemberment: Provides benefits to your family if you die or are dismembered as the result of an accident.
- TIAA-CREF: SU contributes 10% of your eligible earnings to your Retirement Annuity (RA) upon completion of your first year of employment. The one-year waiting period is waived for faculty joining the University from another accredited four-year, degree granting institution, provided plan criteria has been met and the appropriate documentation is submitted. You may begin contributing to a Supplemental Retirement Annuity (SRA) immediately upon employment. The maximum amount established by law may be contributed through pre-tax and/or after-tax payroll deductions.